APPLY NOW: WASCAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS PROGRAMME For WEST AFRICANS
WASCAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS PROGRAMME has opened calls for application for interested West Africans who look forward to studying Climate Change programmes at the post-graduate levels. interested pursuing in combatting Climate Change and improving livelihoods.
With funding from the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), WASCAL will be offering full scholarship to 154 students from eleven West African countries to pursue ten (10) Doctoral Research Programmes and two (2) Master’s Research Programmes in Climate Change thematic areas. The countries are Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, The Gambia, and Togo.
The DRP through the School of Graduate Studies, KNUST is pleased to announce availability of scholarships. All applicants are encouraged to indicate on the fee-paying forms their willingness or otherwise to be enrolled as self-financing students with alternative means of sponsorship in case they do not qualify for scholarship.
Scholarship-holding PhD fellows will receive a monthly stipend to cover accommodation and other expenses for the duration of the programme. Approved travel costs, costs for fieldwork, etc., will be reimbursed. The disbursement of scholarship funds will be connected to the successful delivery of research work deliverables to be agreed upon between the programme Director, the Supervisor, and the PhD fellow at the onset of the research work.
Field research will be sponsored after a successful course work and defence of a PhD proposal. The PhD fellow can travel to Germany once during the PhD fellowship period to participate in PhD level courses and joint supervision, if their conditions allow. The trip will be 3 – 6 months in duration. Airfare will be paid for by WASCAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS PROGRAMME and a monthly stipend to cater for lodging and personal expenses in Germany.
In conformity with the entry requirement of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, the successful candidate will have a minimum of:
- Second Class (Upper Division) in their First degree and a good Master’s degree in Soil Science, Agricultural Engineering (Soil and Water Engineering option), Civil Engineering (Water Resources/Hydrology option), Geomatic Engineering, Natural Resources (Silviculture and Forestry, and Watershed management), Mathematics, Geography, Land Economy, Atmospheric Physics, Climatology, and other relevant disciplines, with an average of at least 60 %. Submit academic transcripts as evidence.
- English Proficiency as indicated below:
- Must have first or second degree with English language as the medium of instruction, OR
- Must have an internationally recognised Certificate of Proficiency in the English Language (TOEFL or IELTS) with above average score.
- Otherwise, the candidate will have to undertake a three-month pre-master’s intensive English course at University of Cape Coast.
- Full time availability for a period of forty-two months.
- Demonstrate adequate intellectual capacity, maturity and effective decision making and problem-solving potentials.
- Experience with modelling and GIS would be an advantage but not a prerequisite.
- Must be able to travel to Germany for a period of 3 – 6 months
You Need To See This:Capitec Bank Graduate Development Programme 2021 for Young South Africans. Apply Now
Application Procedure and Contact:
Candidates may apply directly to the DRP CCLU by submitting all information requested via email to the Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org before June 30, 2021. For further information, you may call or WhatsApp on +233502662467 during office hours (08:00hrs to 17:00hrs GMT)
Completing Application Form
- Access the KNUST application form via the following:
- Carefully read the IMPORTANT NOTES on the Application Form
- Complete application form and upload a recent passport-size picture per the photo requirement of the application
- Submit the signed application form and other information to email addresses above.
KNUST in collaboration with the WASCAL CCLU Board will short list candidates. There will be a selection interview in/or near Kumasi or via telephone. The date of the interview will be communicated after shortlisting. The selection interview is mandatory to support the final selection of candidates. Successful candidates will then submit original hardcopy of the application package.
Application Supporting Documents/Additional Information:
- Completed application form
- Detailed CV
- Fee-paying form (Click here to download)
- Two letters of reference (one from a supervisor at the Master’s level)
- Proof of English proficiency
- Official transcripts for BSc and MSc degrees
- Photocopy of official certificates for BSc and MSc degrees
- Two recent passport-sized photographs
- Evidence of current and previous employments (if applicable).
- Submit both soft and hard copies of a short concept note (max. 3 pages outlining the justification, objectives, methodology and expected outcomes of your research idea.
- Submit both soft and hard copies of a letter of motivation (max. two pages) with the heading “WASCAL DRP – CCLU PhD” outlining the following:
- Why you want to study Climate Change and Land Use at the PhD level
- Your current occupation
- Why you are well-suited to study this programme
- How your admission into the PhD Climate Change and Land Use Programme will fit into your professional vision
- How your home country stands to benefit after your training
- You may also add other relevant information and/or experience you feel is necessary to support your application.
- WASCAL POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS PROGRAMME Application deadline: June 30, 2021
- Send supporting documents in a single zip file
- Supporting documents in French must have an official English translation in addition
- Ineligible, incomplete or late applications will not be processed
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted by July, 2021 for an interview or to provide additional details.
Application Deadline: June 30th 2021